July 29th, 2011
A little more than a year ago I wrote a blog entry called Finding a Job. If you are currently looking for work then you may want to take time to read it, perhaps even print it out and highlight the parts that apply most to you. There is a LOT of detail in there.
1. The act of finding a job is a job itself! Treat it like that … get up every morning, get ready for WORK and then set to the tasks at hand.
2. You need a PLAN … with action items, and you need to work really HARD on those items. (see the Finding a Job post).
3. You CANNOT cut corners … sending the same (lame?) covering letter with an attached resume is lazy … customize for EVERY situation.
4. In the same vein … work really HARD on your resume. Include everything that is relevant (charitable work etc) … do NOT include stuff that is irrelevant (some hobbies etc). Get help, get other people’s advice, look at other people’s resumes for ides.
5. Keep an open mind … when I wrote the blog post in April last year the unemployment rate was 8%, in June it was 7.4% … better, but still not full employment. Some markets are relatively hot (Toronto and Calgary) most are not … and none of that matters to you because all you need is ONE job and that could be anywhere!
Stay positive, work hard, present the right image and you will be successful. The Summer is generally a little quiet in the job markets but the Fall should see a pick-up in demand.
Kevin Dee is CEO of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Centre!