People think “if only … ” and list things or situations as being the answer to their happiness. If only … I had more money; that person would marry me; I had a house in that neighbourhood; I owned a Porsche; and on and on.
This focuses our attention on all that is missing in our lives instead of what we actually have …and THAT gets in the way of happiness.
The single biggest cause of unhappiness is focusing on what we don’t have!
Similarly we often focus on what other people in our lives don’t have … and THAT adds to our angst! My partner is messy, my kids don’t listen, my parents don’t understand me!
So … 10 tips for those who truly want to be happy.
- Focus on what you have … not what you don’t have.
- Do not be envious of other people.
- Make plans and set goals … and improve the things that are meaningful to you.
- Celebrate your wins.
- Look for the good in the people around you.
- Look for the good in your circumstances.
- Focus on the things that you can control.
- Push yourself … and understand what you are truly capable of achieving.
- Don’t look for the easy way.
- Give more than you get!
“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.” Audrey Hepburn
Kevin Dee is founder of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Board!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) Virtual Recruiter service?