You are a business owner, or a salesperson and your core role involves building a business by selling the product or service of your company. Through that you will build a relationship with clients and prospective clients. One great way to enhance those relationships is by bringing ADDED value, over and above your core offering.
Sure, your offerings are wonderful and you solve your client’s business problem … BUT that is a quid pro quo transaction, you provide a solution and the client pays you money.
What ELSE are you doing?
How are you differentiating yourself from your competition OTHER than your product/service?
Here are some ideas of things you can do, that your client might appreciate…
- You can help them to network … introduce them to people you know, start a networking group and get them involved.
- You can share your knowledge. You are an expert in your field, so share some of that knowledge. Share articles, facts, presentation material that would be useful.
- Find interesting and relevant articles that you can then share with your client.
- Take your client to interesting events that might benefit them for networking or exposure to other circles. You could take them to charity events, industry events or awards events … all of which would help your client to broaden their contacts, their understanding and their knowledge.
- You can bring new and interesting ideas to them based on your experiences. These might just spawn conversations that will help your client in thinking through problems.
If you can help your client to solve a problem about which you have no vested interest, then your credibility just went up immensely.
If you can help your client in their career … do you think they might value that?
If you can make an introduction that is important, perhaps even helps your client to grow their business then your relationship is greatly improved.
If you can increase your client’s knowledge in an area of interest than that will help them to look good.
Anything you can do to help your client is going to reflect well on you … BUT you need to LOOK for ways to bring value, and you need to put in the EFFORT to make it happen.
Clients ideally want to deal with people that they like and trust. There is no better way of building that trust and the ensuing relationship than by actively seeking ways to bring value!
Kevin Dee is CEO of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Centre!
Gain a competitive edge! Join Eagle’s Executive Consulting Network!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiter service?