“Control your own destiny or someone else will.” Jack Welch
If you are a salesperson, what are you doing differently to ensure that meet your targets in 2015? You can be sure that someone out there wants to eat your lunch, how are you going to combat that? How are you going to take market share from your competitors?
If you are a business owner or a leader of any kind you need to be aware of your environment and adapt to the inevitable changes affecting you and your business.
We are a couple of weeks into January and already there have been some big impacts on our world here in Canada. Target announced it is shutting its Canadian operation, Sony is shutting its Canadian retail operation and Mexx is shutting down. The conference board suggests that Alberta will go into recession based upon the price of oil and the Canadian dollar is as weak as it has been for a long time.
There are disruptors gaining traction in many industries … a couple of examples would be Uber in the taxi/limousine space and AirBnB in the hotel space. Are there disruptors in your space? Would you know if there were?
Skills shortages associated with the professions are a growing issue, but that may come with high unemployment in the unskilled labor market because of the attraction to offshore manufacturing.
Add to all of the above factors the uncertainty created by international terrorism and you have a market that looks very different from this time last year.
“Enterprises that do not adapt are in for a lot of trouble.” John McCallum
Here are 11 questions you might want to ask within your organization …
- Do you understand what internal and external factors will affect your business?
- Do you understand the risks AND opportunities?
- Are you listening to your clients? Are you asking them good questions? Do you know how they will react?
- If you are in management are you listening to you staff … because they are closer to the action? Are you arming them with the right questions to ask?
- Do you have a game plan for 2015? How is it different than 2014/2013/2012/1998?
- Are you active in your industry association? Do you know what your competitors are planning?
- When did you last do a strategic plan?
- When did you last look outside your own business?
- When did you last do an extensive account planning exercise?
- Are you executing on the planning that you have done?
- Do you have the right people on your team, or could you benefit from “upgrading”?
If you can answer these questions well you are likely in a minority, and well positioned for the future. If you are doing the “same old, same old” then just maybe you should act now before it is too late!
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change.” Charles Darwin
Kevin Dee is CEO of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Centre!
Gain a competitive edge! Join Eagle’s Executive Consulting Network!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiter service?