If you are like most people you probably have no idea. You might even be under a mistaken illusion that you are very productive.
“Lack of direction, not lack of time, is the problem. We all have twenty-four hour days.” Zig Ziglar
The reality is that there are so many distractions that take our focus on a given day that the actual time spent on high return, productive activities ends up being severely impacted.
- How often do you look at the news?
- How often do you check social media?
- How often do you go for a coffee … and of course the free, company supplied coffee isn’t good enough you need to go three blocks away and join the afternoon line-up at Starbucks!
- How often do you stop by a coworkers desk to chat about the weekend, the game, the concert or the evening plans?
- How often do you process all the non-important emails because it is mindless work and you know the “real” work will require effort?
- How much of your time is spent thinking about what to do rather than doing it?
- How much time do you spend researching that new prospect rather than actually doing something?
“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.” Bruce Lee
There are SO many reasons why you should change ALL of that behavior and be the productive superstar that is hiding behind all of those distractions.
- It takes discipline.
- It takes change.
- It takes focus.
- It takes good time management practices.
All of which means that most people will NOT do it … but that is just ONE more reason why you should.
“There is nothing less productive than to make more efficient what should not be done at all.” Peter Drucker
It is a lot of fun being the best. There is great satisfaction in being super productive. The rewards go to those who rise above the crowd.
Are you ready … all you need to do is commit, and go for it.
1. Track your days and see just how much time you REALLY waste.
2. Eliminate the bad habits.
3. Find ways to be more productive.
4. Focus your energies on the high return activities.
“The men who succeed are the efficient few. They are the few who have the ambition and will power to develop themselves.” Robert Burton
Let other people keep up wit the news and social media, chat and go for coffee … you can be the new superstar!
You know you can do it!
Kevin Dee is the founder and Chairman of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Board!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) Virtual Recruiter service?