Time is a finite resource and in today’s exceptionally busy world it is a resource that we should all hold precious … and yet most people don’t.
If you are in a busy job then getting your work done in a productive “work day”, without the necessity to put in extra hours on a regular basis, should be doable. Yet, I would hazard to guess that most people don’t come close to having a truly productive day.
“Those who make the worst use of their time are the first to complain of its brevity.” Jean de La Bruyere
So for those people who:
- Want to be successful; or
- Want to be the best that they can be; or
- Want to get their work done in the work day so they can enjoy their personal time.
Here are some tangible things you can do.
- Use “To Do” lists. Review them every day BEFORE you even check email!
- Treat time as the precious commodity that it is.
- When at work, work!
- Notice how long things take … and try to get more efficient.
- Plan your time.
- Use your calendar … religiously!
- Focus your energy on “high return” activities.
- Continually upgrade your skills … generally but with technology specifically.
- Avoid unproductive meetings.
- Find ways to reduce how long every meeting you attend takes.
- Be productive when you are in meetings … prepare, participate and leave as soon as you can!
- Identify what wastes your time … and eliminate or reduce it. Look at:
- Texting friends;
- Idle chatter
- Unscheduled breaks
- Phone interruptions;
- Email interruptions; time waster interruptions.
- Be respectful of other people’s time.
- Assign priorities to your work.
- Delegate where possible … and don’t micromanage!
I’m not going into great detail because it has all been said before. This is the reminder list … pin it up in front of you at your place of work and look at it every morning until it becomes second nature.
Do all of these things and you WILL see the difference.
“Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you.” Carl Sandburg
Kevin Dee is CEO of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Board!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) Virtual Recruiter service?