Back to Resource Centre
Whatever the reason you have been away from work, coming back work after a break can be tough for anyone.
It is one of those times when being disciplined with yourself and applying good time management techniques can really make a huge difference.
I have found that the "To Do list" and your calendar can really help you to get back in control quickly.
"If you want to make good use of your time, you've got to know what's most important and then give it all you've got." Lee Iacocca
As someone who has probably made all of the mistakes at some point in my long career, I try to have a "system" to help me get organised:
1. Take out the "To Do List" BEFORE you check email and BEFORE you check voicemail. If possible do this before you actually start work, but worst case make it your first event.
2. Understand what the high priority items are on your current to do list.
3. Scan voicemails for urgent items ... add them to the to do list or deal with them if they are truly THAT urgent .
4. Block time off later in your calendar for dealing with the rest of the voicemails (based on how long you think it will take).
5. Scan emails for urgent items ... deal with this the same way as your voicemail.
6. Scan the real mail ... treat the same as above.
7. Now the "To Do" list becomes the driver of your time and should include tasks for dealing with the less urgent items from the email, voicemail and regular mail.
8. Block time in your calendar to deal with the To Do list items!
9. Plug time into your calendar to talk with everyone you need to talk with ... use a mini-agenda to ensure you cover everything you need to, without taking too much time.
10. Now EXECUTE based on the plan (your To Do List)!
Given this is the first day back after a break, you may find your energy level dipping as the day goes by ... take on the hardest tasks when your energy levels are at their highest! As your energy wanes switch to the less demanding items such as clearing emails etc.
"Until we can manage time, we can manage nothing else." Peter F. Drucker
Hope this is useful!
Kevin Dee is founder of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Find Canada's top hot jobs, updated in real-time! Visit Eagle's Job Centre!
Have you tried Eagle's (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiterservice?