Back to Resource Centre
In my experience there is one consistent factor when dealing with successful people, they find ways to overcome barriers and make stuff happen. They are POSITIVE people.
Recently (August 2020) Sir Ken Robinson passed away. His TED talk about creativity and how our education system (worldwide) stifles students was one of the most watched TED Talks ever.
One of my take-aways from that presentation was that when people get passionate about something, they can achieve great things. They see the possibilities and not the barriers. Robinson believed that we get preconditioned through our formative years into conforming with "accepted norms", which stifles talent and creativity that otherwise might flourish.
Whatever your position in life you will take pleasure from success, and the best way to achieve success is to focus on how to get it, NOT on why you can't do it. It is also worth noting that success can be many things, not just about money or winning, it can be about achievement, "personal bests", overcoming adversity etc.
So, if your habit is to focus on the problems and why you can't achieve the success you want, then you need to change that thinking. Instead you need to step back and look at what you could possibly do to achieve your goal. Here are some tips:
1. Don't focus on "the problem" or barrier, rather focus on the end result.
2. Write down every idea you might have about how to get to that end result, no matter how "outlandish".
3. If the goal is BIG, then try to develop interim goals. eg. If you set a goal of being the lead guitarist in a band and you never played an instrument ... you might want to start with learning to play basic guitar!
4. Talk to others! Do NOT underestimate the creativity of those around you, even the most junior members of your team.
5. FOCUS! All of this needs to happen with a total focus on the issue. You cannot be doing this in between your day job, the next big deadline etc. Set aside dedicated time, it doesn't need to be days, but perhaps an hour or four!
6. Exercise humility! You don't need to have all the answers. Give credit to those who do help. Be willing to help others when they need it!
7. Believe! If you don't believe that you can succeed then your chances are dramatically reduced. Everything is possible, you just need to find the key!
Success, whether it is achieving a goal weight, a level of fitness, a new language, a job promotion or a business target is all achievable. It takes work, it takes commitment and it takes a little courage. Are you up for it?
"Whatever the problem, be part of the solution. Don't just sit around raising questions and pointing out obstacles." Tina Fey
Kevin Dee is the founder of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada's hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Board!
Have you tried Eagle's (very cost effective) Virtual Recruiter service ------------------------------------------