Tonight in Boston two hockey teams will face off in game #6 of what could be a 7 game final. If Vancouver manage to win tonight then its all over. Thus far in the series it has been the home team that has won … Vancouver “eked” out three wins in their arena, and Boston had two emphatic wins while playing in Boston.
So what, you might ask?
I think the important thing here is that the margin by which you win counts for nothing … at the end of the day the history books will remember the winners.
I can’t predict how tonight’s game will go … but I do know some facts.
1. Neither one of these teams were competing in the final last year. So … they improved their competitiveness!
2. Both teams have won all of their home games in this series … which might suggest that Boston should win tonight, sending the final to one last deciding game, in Vancouver.
3. Vancouver finished the regular season with a better record than Boston.
4. Any game can be won or lost based on any number of factors … a hot goalie, a lucky goal, a poor referee call, a special play!
How does that apply in my every day life? Lessons for us business guys …
1. If you want to be successful you have to be able to play with the best … even if you don’t beat them regularly.
2. Competing takes hard work … winning is just that bit harder.
3. What worked yesterday is not necessarily going to work tomorrow.
4. A superstar might win you some business … but it is a team effort that will win on an ongoing basis.
5. The difference between winning and losing can be very small … but if you want the “prize” you need to find those small differentiators.