The “storm of the century” is set to cause havoc, over the next couple of days, up and down the East coast of the US. Businesses are closed, people have been evacuated from low lying areas and we have received lots of warnings about what is to come.
There is not much good that comes from these events … but one thing that we can take away from them is a better sense of perspective!
Just what is important to you?
In terms of sheer scale … this storm will affect millions of people, cause billions of dollars damage and all we can do is to mitigate the damage.
There are things in life that will make you stop and think, to re-evaluate your life and give you cause to answer those questions about what is really important?
Natural disasters are one of those catalysts that make me realise just how small and insignificant I am in the scheme of things … that’s a little humbling.
Sometimes people are “jolted” by a knock to their ego … perhaps they get laid off, or even worse, “fired”!
Sometimes the loss of someone close to you, or a serious illness strikes close to home and it makes you think about “life”.
We don’t NEED these catalysts in order to re-evaluate our lives … but they do have a way of making us stop and think!
Here is the good news …
1. It is GOOD to take stock of your situation … to ask yourself the tough questions.
2. If “some event” causes you to take a step back, it might just be the best thing that ever happened to you.
3. Starting over gives you a blank canvas … you can be anything you set your mind to be.
4. Starting over is scary, but that can be a great motivator … IF you are willing to grab the opportunity.
6. Taking charge of your own destiny can be the most rewarding thing you ever do.
So … don’t wait for mother nature, economic conditions or some other event to dictate your future.
Take some time to think about your life, make your own decisions about what you want from your future, then make a plan to meet those goals … and most importantly act on that plan!