I wrote a blog entry recently about the need to be grateful for the good things in our life. I thought I would try to make it more “real” … by showing how anyone can focus on the good in our everyday lives!
It might seem a little hokey to focus on “being thankful” … but until you actually do it you will probably not understand how positively that can affect your life. Focusing on positive things can make everything seem better!
In an attempt to make this more real I thought I would list just a few of the things I am grateful fort his week… make your own list!
In no particular order …
1. The people in my life … friends, family, business partners, colleagues. I had many positive discussions and meetings, dinner with friends, coffee meetings with clients and just “hanging time” with family! Not all the conversations were easy or fun, but the challenges were met and dealt with and there were smiles and much laughter along the way.
2. My health. I finished my alcohol free month (Kevuary) with a bang! Good wine and scotch on the day after Kevuary wasn’t good for my liver, but it was good for my soul! I had a few good workouts this week but special mention goes to my weekly boxing workout on the heavy bag … utilising tips from my ex-boxing coach these are intense workouts that make me work hard!
3. My job. I’m lucky to run my own business … but I would be lucky to be a salesperson as I was in the past, or a mid level manager, I was even grateful to be a Junior Naval Aircraft Mechanic 2nd Class, as opposed to being unemployed in early 70’s Liverpool. Life gives us opportunities and when we take them we should be grateful. I like my job, I like the people I work with and I like the challenges that keep me learning and growing … even though I am no spring chicken!
4. My environment. I love that I can live in a world class city like Toronto, with all it has to offer, and be able to walk to work! (I might have trouble being thankful for a Toronto commute … but I would use it to advantage if that was the case). I have a nice home in the city, I have a nice place outside the city and I get to enjoy them both. The weather was mixed this week but the warm days gave us a break from the cold, and the Winter wonderland at the lake is magical today.
5. A story. Walking our dog has allowed us to meet a number of other dog owners, and exchange pleasantries in the evenings. This week one of the dogs wandered onto the road and was hit by a car. This group of people who are really just acquaintances pulled together and all pitched in. It was amazing to see virtual strangers pulling together like that. Even the car driver stopped the traffic with his vehicle and leaped from his car to stop oncoming traffic and protect the injured pet. If you ever feel that there are no good people in the world then please know that there are good people all around us! PS The dog is home and fine!
It is amazing how fast time flies by, the years are gone before you know it … it it is important to take a little time to appreciate what we have. This was a week in the life of Kevin Dee, and just some of the things I am grateful for. Even if there had been a really bad event this week all of these positive influences would help me to keep a positive attitude. Go ahead … make YOUR list for the week!
“Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” Oprah Winfrey