Back to Resource Centre
Hopefully you don't drive your business like the guy here!!!
If you are a manager or an executive running a sales organization it is easy to get a little complacent.
The numbers are looking good, the team is doing OK ... so why tinker with a good thing?
The next step in that thinking is to "let the days drive you" ... you come to the office, there is always demand for your time, you are busy, before you know it the day has gone, the week has gone, the month has gone, the quarter has gone etc.
The problem with this approach is that while you are doing things the same way, the rest of the world is evolving. Clients are changing their expectations or their processes, competition is refining its offerings, repricing to be more aggressive or just building deeper relationships.
The result is that you start to notice a slide ... the numbers are going the wrong way, the team is unsettled, nobody is having fun and it seems like overnight your world has "gone South".
Whether you find yourself in that position OR better yet, things are going well, here are some ideas for things you can do:
1. Communicate. You can't over-communicate!
2. Make sure everyone is on the same page.
3. Listen to your team's ideas ... give them credit, and implement good ideas!
4. Spend some time with your team giving them ideas, using your experiences to point them in the right direction.
5. Create a positive vibe ... let them know they are important, let them know your role is to help them to be successful.
6. Get out and meet clients! Wave the flag, build your own relationships, listen to what they are telling you.
7. Ask those clients for ideas, for help, for input, for guidance!
8. Understand what challenges your team have ... and get those barriers out of the way as much as possible.
9. Help your team to set realistic, but stretch, goals ... and show them how they can get there. Develop a PLAN and WORK the Plan!
10. Be a part of the solution ... do not be an absent/remote/dictatorial leader, because then you are not just a part of the problem, you ARE the problem!
Kevin Dee is CEO of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Gain a competitive edge! Join Eagle's Executive Consulting Network!
Find Canada's top hot jobs, updated in real-time! Visit Eagle's Job Centre!
Have you tried Eagle's (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiter service?