No matter what your job is, how long you have been doing it or how good you are… you can always get better.
The question is DO YOU WANT TO GET BETTER?
Many people are pretty content to drift through their lives. They will do what they need to do … but don’t do anything more.
Some percentage of people just don’t care … they will find any and every excuse to do the bare minimum.
The good news is that the people who do want to get better can easily differentiate themselves, and rise above the pack.
Five reasons that you might want to do this …
1. It makes you feel good about yourself.
2. You have to spend time at work anyway … so why not be the best you can be.
3. Generally better performing employees get the promotions, pay increases and other opportunities.
4. In the event of layoffs employers will try to hold onto their best employees.
5. If you do find yourself unemployed the best performers will generally get hired first.
Five things you can do tomorrow to improve your lot at work…
1. Emulate the best performer in your field. What makes them successful… copy it.
2. Do a self assessment of your skills with third party input from HR, your boss, your colleagues even. Identify one thing to work on and develop a plan.
3. Take an interest in other parts of the business. What challenges does your boss have? What do the sales team do? How does your back office work? The better you understand the “ins and outs” of your company the better you will see how you can make a difference.
4. Adopt a “can do” attitude. Volunteer to help. When asked for help, find a way to say yes. Don’t make negative comments, look for the positives.
5. Develop GREAT time management skills … start small and work at it constantly. How can you be more efficient? I wrote a blog entry about time management on Friday!
“If you don’t go after what you want, you could spend your entire life settling for what you can get” … Mo Stegall