Every year I have a four week alcohol free period (at least one) … I call it “Kevuary”. I typically do this every January to:
assure myself that alcohol is not TOO important in my life;
assist in losing those extra pounds gained over the holiday season; and
be an exercise in willpower!
So, why should you push yourself? Why not “go with the flow” and not rock the boat.
1. Almost any gain in life comes at a cost.
2. Change is constant in our lives. Why wait for the world to change and then play catch-up, take the initiative and make your own changes!
3. If you are not able to push your own limits then your chances of being able to respond to life’s challenges diminishes.
4. Goals are a great way to get ahead. To achieve your goals you need to (a) set a goal; (b) have a plan to meet your goal; (c) typically set a timeframe; and (d) execute on that plan. If you practice on easy things, like Kevuary, then you build confidence in your abilities.
5. By pushing yourself you are taking your life into your own hands, rather than waiting for life to happen to you.
You don’t need to give up alcohol, but you should push yourself on a regular basis and build up your tolerance to change, your ability to cope with change and your chances of success when it really counts!
YOU are responsible for your own success. That is not the responsibility of your employer; your parents; your friends; not even the government! ONLY YOU!