There is a saying that goes, if you want something done, then give it to a busy person!
If you are in a senior position, perhaps you own your business or are a senior executive then very often you feel like you don’t have time to meet all of the demands on your time today … how could you possibly find time to take on more commitments?
The answer is that busy people will always find time for high priority items. Busy people are typically good at managing their time.
When we started Eagle in 1996 I experienced the kind of “busy’ you can only experience as a new business owner. There is so much new to learn, and everything new always takes longer!
I made a personal commitment to give back to both my Industry Association and to local causes where I might make a difference.
Over the intervening years I have continued to make that commitment … and while it has never been easy, it has always been rewarding.
During that time I have met hundreds (maybe thousands of people) who give their time generously, but so many more that don’t make that commitment.
Here are a few reasons why you should make time to get involved in good causes …
1. Your success is partly because of the society around you … that society needs people like you to give back! It is payback!
2. The more you give the more you get … fact!
3. You will get great satisfaction from the act of giving.
4. You will meet wonderful people.
5. You will learn more about society.
6. You will learn more about yourself.
7. You will be forced to be an even better time manager.
8. You will be appreciated.
9. You can become a world famous blogger writing about your experiences.
10. Because its the right thing to do!
Here are some ways to make time. (Note that the time commitment does not have to be that onerous, charitable boards might meet once a month at most and for a few hours) …
1. Make it a high priority task … and let it bump lower priority tasks from your To Do list!
2. Make it a part of your networking plan.
3. Give up some other non-work activity like TV time, reading time.
4. Get help at home to clean the house, do the laundry, do some shopping … so you can give back.
5. Be strict about your time, eliminating a few “time wasters” in order to accommodate this critical task.
“Businesses cannot be successful when the society around them fails.” Anon