One of the best traits that you can develop is perseverance.
“Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance.” Samuel Johnson.
Whatever you are trying to achieve, it will take effort, some success, some failure and an ability to stick with it through the ups and downs.
You could relate to your successes in school … you needed to learn, to study, to practice and to work hard in order to become proficient at any subject. The amount of effort will vary depending upon the innate skills of the individual, but we all need to put in some effort.
I will also suggest that in some ways the people that had it easy growing up are at a disadvantage to those who have had to struggle for their successes. If you have had to struggle then you know what it takes, you have experience doing it and you can do it again. If life has been easy then you may have trouble in making the necessary sacrifices, in putting in the extra effort and in building up your “perseverance gene”!
Whether you have been doing it all your life or you are new to the concept you CAN build up your tolerance for the effort needed to succeed … it does take some hard work!
“The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.” Vince Lombardi.
Here is what I know…
1. Nobody reaches the top of their game without demonstrating perseverance.
2. Anybody is capable of demonstrating perseverance, but not everybody is willing to “do what it takes”.
3. Sometimes the most talented people will fail because they are not willing to put in the effort.
4. If you want to start a business you will need perseverance.
5. If you want to be a good salesperson you will get a lot of rejection along the way … and through perseverance you will succeed.
There are probably a bunch of other traits that are associated with people who show perseverance … they are willing to put in the effort, they have stamina to stay the course, they have a positive attitude that keeps them going and they have the willpower or mental discipline needed to succeed.
“Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.” Newt Gingrich