Stephen Covey wrote about the Emotional Bank Account, explaining that for every relationship we have, there exists an imaginary bank account.
In order to invest in each relationship we need to make deposits in that account, and whenever we make withdrawals we are harming that relationship.
The theory being that we need to deposit more than we withdraw if we are to have a healthy relationship.
Life is like that!
There is a cost to everything, and if you make deposits in your account then you are investing in your own success.
While this will relate to money, more importantly it relates to every aspect of your life ... your career, your relationships, your hobbies, your education, your success, your health and fitness, your aspirations, dreams and anything else you can think of!
The good news is that it is easy to see how you can have a positive impact on your life ... make deposits into YOUR Life Bank Account!
"Investing in yourself is the best investment you will ever make. It will not only improve your life, it will improve the lives of all those around you."
Here are 10 Deposits that anyone could make in their Life Bank Account:
1. Take a course to enhance your career. A technical course related to your profession or a soft skills course applicable to any career. Invest in your future.
2. Start a fitness plan, or add to your fitness plan. Don't go crazy, but do something that increases your activity level.
3. Read. Newspapers (online or paper versions); books; periodicals; magazines. Enhance your knowledge and make yourself more interesting!
4. Volunteer. Give back, devote some time to others ... you will get immeasurable pleasure from giving.
5. Reduce and eventually drop one of your "bad habits"... it could be sugar, caffeine, alcohol, nicotine or some other habit.
6. Invest time in the key people in your life. Find ways to build those relationships.
7. Capture your ideas and dreams in one place. A book, on the computer, file folders ... whatever works for you. Read it and add to it regularly.
8. Create a list of all of the things that you should be grateful for ... the big things and the little pleasures. Pull this out when you need a boost, but also on a regular basis to add all of the latest "good stuff".
9. Take control of your time, be as productive as you can possibly be ... but also make sure you find time to do the things that are most important to you!
10. Set Goals! Goals give you a direction for your life, a roadmap to follow and a means to motivate yourself. If you want to make just one deposit into your Life Bank Account this is it!
"Some people dream of success... while others wake up and work hard at it."
Once you start depositing into that Life Bank Account you will start to see the results of that investment ... we need to make deposits before we have anything to withdraw!