Here's Why You Shouldn't Stop Searching for IT Contract Opportunities Over the HolidaysWe'll all use this holiday season to relax, enjoy time with family, and even be a little lazy. Given how busy we are the rest of the year, taking a break is necessary and there's a good chance that what won't be on your mind is searching for new contract opportunities. If you are able to squeeze it in between meals and movies, though, you just might set yourself up for a rewarding 2015. There are several reasons a job search over the holidays can increase your odds of winning a contract. Here are a few:
- Organizations are still hiring. Even though many of us will take a break, business will absolutely continue to operate. Companies are always planning their next moves, projects are always moving forward, and people are always needed (usually sooner rather than later). If you keep an eye on your favourite job boards, you'll notice that, although there won't be many, there will be new opportunities appearing.
- Less competition. And while those new opportunities are appearing, fewer people will be seeing them. Remember, most people use the holidays to "turn off". When you "turn on" for a few minutes each day, you may be the only person applying to a job.
- Budgets reset. While not true for all organizations, many companies reset their budgets on January 1st. They suddenly have money to spend and will want to get projects going the second 2015 starts. They'll use the holiday period to find contractors to work on those 2015 projects.
- Recruiters are easier to reach. As we said in #1, it may be slower but business doesn't stop during the holiday season. Many recruiters are still at their desk and may have some extra time. What a great opportunity to call them, build relationships, and discuss upcoming roles.
- People change jobs in the New Year. 2015 will come with a slew of resolutions and some of them will be to make a career change. Be proactive by getting your name in front of recruiters and hiring managers over the holidays, and you'll be the first person they call in January.
- Show enthusiasm and initiative. If anything, taking the time to apply for jobs, writing cover letters and checking in with your network shows that you're serious about your business. Many clients love that personality trait and will recognize you for it.