Back to Resource Centre
Are you a person that sets goals in your life? If that is the case, then congratulations, because you are one of a very small minority!
I often encourage people to take charge of their lives, to LIVE life and not just let life happen to them.
Goals are a great tool to help you actually take charge of your life!
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
Introducing goals into your routine is a change and like most change, the best way to get started is to start small and keep it manageable.
1. Set a couple of goals ... just do it! Don't wait for month end, start of a new week, the New Year or any other procrastination trick do it NOW.
2. Pick something you can do, make it very specific! An example might be ... I will lose 5lb in the next month ... starting right now! (Of course the next step is to create the action plan that will meet the target).
3. Write down the goal ... and tell someone about it! (Your partner, a friend, or a colleague). This makes it real and a true commitment!
4. Track your progress as often as makes sense ... if it's a weight goal maybe you want to weigh yourself weekly.
5. Reward yourself for meeting goals ... do not reward yourself if you miss them. Eg. If I lose 5lb by the target date I will treat myself to some new clothes. If you don't make it then put off the treat.
6. Once you start to get the hang of this, add some more goals and repeat!
"This one step -- choosing a goal and sticking to it -- changes everything." Scott Reed
People who are really successful at this will have goals for many different aspects of their lives ... health and fitness; relationships; time management/organization; finances; career; training; hobbies. Etc.
Meeting your goals will improve your confidence redue stress and lay the foundation for even more success.
Give it a try ... what have you got to lose?
"You cannot change your destination overnight, but you can change your direction overnight." Jim Rohn