IT Career Advice from Kevin Dee
- If you are choosing a tech career then you already made a great choice. The future will belong to the knowledge worker, and tech will only play a bigger and bigger part in our lives.
- I am often asked about the problem of getting hired without experience... "How do I get experience if no-one will give me a job to get experience?"
- Be prepared to start at the bottom, be humble and have the right expectations ... look to the future!
- Companies want a great attitude even more than they want skills ... bring a great attitude and some entry level skill and you improve your chances.
- Get experience wherever you can... volunteer with charities/not for profit organisations, get Summer jobs, take an extra course in "in demand" skills.
- Big companies hire a lot of tech people... banks, oil & gas, retail, telephone companies, big consulting companies (Accenture, Deloitte) etc. If you can find ways "in" to those companies it is a great way to start a career. (Summer jobs there, people you know, people your family knows, people you cultivate etc.)