We live our lives every day dealing with the normal pressures of life. We build routines and focus on the things we need to do, and some of the things we would like to do.
Every now and again it is a good idea to focus on others, to give, with no expectation of getting anything back.
I call that type of day a “feel good” day, because invariably it feels good to do something for others.
Which begs the question … how come we don’t do it more often?
There are many things that we can do to create a “feel good” day?
Here are 10 ideas for you … and they actually work on any day, so you could actually have “feel good” days as often as you like!
1. Buy an extra coffee at the coffee shop ... available to someone who needs it!
2. Send a hand written note to three people in your life that you know will like it … friends, relatives, colleagues. How often do you get mail these days? Think about how you feel when there is something other than bills or junk in your mail!
3. Buy a sandwich for a homeless person.
4. Share something with your colleagues at work ... a favorite recipe, recommend a book, a sjhow or a movie, something that might bring a smile.
"We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give."
5.Praise someone who could do with a “lift”. We don’t know what is going on in other people’s lives, but a compliment or a kind word out of the blue can certainly be a mood booster for most people!
6.Smile… make it a “no frown” day! Smiles are contagious!
7.Share a joke with your friends … make it appropriate to the most conservative of those friends. I think most of us like the occasional (don’t overdo it) levity to break up the work day.
8.Call your mom… (and/or dad, sister, brother)! Enough said!
9. Do a good deed for a stranger… drive a neighbor somewhere, pick up groceries for an elderly person etc.
10. Do something for a charity (not for profit) … make a donation, volunteer some time, get involved! Our society relies on volunteers … do something to help out.
If doing one, some, or all of these things made you feel good about yourself then resolve to do them more often!
It seems counter-intuitive to some people, but take it from me: giving is one of the best things we can for ourselves!