People like to deal with people that they can trust. They want to associate with people that “make deposits into the emotional bank account” not just take!
Maybe it seems a little obvious, or even a little too easy, but it works!
Here are a few commitments that a salesperson might make, that would be easy to deliver …
- I will drop off a proposal with the pricing before the end of the week.
- I will get you the contact information for <someone of interest> by Thursday.
- I will give you call next Monday to follow up.
- I will bring coffee to the meeting on Friday.
How about some ways to build credibility with a friend or a spouse.
- I will take you for dinner next Thursday evening.
- I will organise a trip to the movies this month.
- I will pick you up some scotch on my next Calgary trip.
- I will give you a ride to the game.
You build your credibility by keeping lots of relatively easy promises, and of course making sure you deliver the “big ones” too! When you inevitably miss a promise it is a rare thing from which you can more easily recover.
Develop a habit of making promises to the important people in your life .. and make sure you deliver!
Kevin Dee is CEO of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Gain a competitive edge! Join Eagle’s Executive Consulting Network!
Find Canada’s top hot jobs, updated in real-time! Visit Eagle’s Job Centre!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiter service?