“JP” had a tough start in life but is now an extremely successful business person. He had some “lessons” he shared with us:
1. Love what you do … and ensure your people love what they do.
2. Have quality in your service or products … do not compromise.
3. Constantly look for efficiencies in your business … he feels that more jobs could be created locally if efficiencies could bring the cost differential down to 5% between “made in USA (or Canada)” and made abroad.
4. Run a lean operation … slightly different from the above point, but have your people responsible for multiple tasks.
5. If you want to start and grow a company you should “look big” and “act big” (my paraphrasing) to give a sense of comfort to those buying from you.
7. Keep your commitments!
8. Positive messages go a long way … rather than destructive messages. He talked about his political messages to both major political parties and how he presents his ideas as positive rather than attacking.
9. Have strong relationships with your executives … regular communication helps.
10. Save for a rainy day as soon as you can … “Part of what you earn is yours to keep”!
11. Work hard and be willing to do what it takes to be successful.
12. Have the same passion as when you start your business consistently. Even years later when you are still running your company!
Obviously a very quick synopsis of one hour picking a super successful business man’s brain!
These are some lessons here for all of us!
Kevin Dee is CEO of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Centre!
Gain a competitive edge! Join Eagle’s Executive Consulting Network!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiter service?