Some people reading this will be happy about that, it has definitely been a tough year for many … the oil sector comes to mind!
For others this will have been a good year.
How do you evaluate whether it was good or bad? Is it a subjective evaluation or do you have quantitative measures, such as goals that you set for yourself?
There will have been forces beyond your control … but there will have been many opportunities for you to influence your year. If you focus on the things you can control, you have the best chance of achieving any goals you may have.
This time of year is a good time to look back and ask yourself some questions that will set you up for success next year! Given that everyone is different, you will need to customise your questions to fit your world, but here are some of things you might want to consider.
“Invest in yourself. Your career is the engine of your wealth.” Paul Clitheroe
- Is your career progressing the way you would like?
- Are you getting experience that is building your capabilities?
- What did you do for your career this past year?
- Did you have any career goals this year? Did you meet them?
2. Relationships … (Personal and professional).
“Relationships can be built only if you invest time in people.” Katie Kacvinsky
- How would you rate the important relationships in your life?
- Do you have enough relationships in your life?
- What did you do this year to add to/improve the relationships in your life?
- Do you have any regrets regarding this year and your relationships … and was there something you could have done about those regrets?
- What could you do next year to improve things?
3. Health and Fitness.
“The healthier you are the better you will perform. Value your health and fitness. There is always time to make time.” Brooke Griffin
- Are you happy with your general wellness?
- Are you heavier or less fit than when you started the year?
- Did you have a fitness plan?
- Did you have a general check-up this year?
- Set some goals and make a plan for next year!
4. Hobbies and Pastimes.
“If you neglect to charge a battery it dies. And if you run full speed ahead without stopping for water you lose momentum to finish the race.” Oprah Winfrey
- Do you have activities that you enjoy away from work?
- Did they get enough attention this year?
- Are there activities you would like to pursue?
- What could you do better/different next year?
“The capacity to learn is a gift; the ability to learn is a skill; the willingness to learn is a choice.” Brian Herbert
- What did you do to improve your knowledge this year?
- Did you have objectives, and were they met?
- What areas are you focused on? Industry knowledge, job specific knowledge, general knowledge, etc?
Taking stock of this last year might take you more than one sitting, but the effort will be worth it. You don’t need to have all of the answers, but if you have SOME issues identified then you can start to address them and make a plan for next year.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.” George Eliot
Kevin Dee is founder of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Board!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) Virtual Recruiter service?