We all hit those low energy periods from time to time. It might be because there is a sustained period of pressure at work, it might be because of stress at work or at home, it just might be because it has been a while since we took some time off. It could be too much business travel, long hours, hotel beds and restaurant meals. Whatever the reason, we all need to recharge the batteries from time to time.
Conventional wisdom says that we cannot be at our most productive when we are tired and stressed, so we need to find ways to look after ourselves in order to be productive. That requires taking care of both body and mind.
Here are 10 tips for you to ponder:
- Plan your vacation time. Don’t wait till the end of your year and cram in some time off. Try to take at least one longer vacation, a week or ten days at minimum. “A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you’ve been taking.” Earl Wilson
- Know what works for you to relax… sitting on a beach is heaven for some, torture for others! Some people need to climb mountains, run marathons or get in a boxing ring!
- Take mini breaks through the year… doing the things that make you feel good. A few long weekends sprinkled through the year, the occasional day off to do something for you.
- Have interests outside of work. It should be personalized and does not have to be all consuming, just something that you can focus on other than work.
- Look after your health. Try to be moderate in your drinking and eating, and find time to work out. “The greatest wealth is health.” Virgil
- Make time in the day when you can think, rather than do.
- Develop great time management skills… to help reduce your stress.
- Laugh, it is nature’s medicine! “Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.” Thich Nhat Hanh
- Invest in friendships.
- Set goals. Having a sense of where you are going is far less stressful than going with the flow.
None of us live in a perfect world, and perhaps at this point in your life some of these things are not possible. Do what you can do to keep your energy levels up and don’t beat yourself up about things you can’t control.
Kevin Dee is CEO of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Centre!
Gain a competitive edge! Join Eagle’s Executive Consulting Network!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiterservice?