- They give you something to aim for.
- They provide focus.
- They are the foundation of any great time management system.
- They are necessary for any company that wants success, and highly recommended for anyone who wants to achieve success in almost anything, personal or career oriented.
A goal without a plan, that is actionable, has timelines and is realistic, is just a dream. Martin Luther King Jr famously said, “I have a dream!” The thing is that his dream also had a plan … he was working to make his dream a reality!
If you have ever looked at business plans from early stage companies there is a trend among some percentage of them to have a growth goal that looks like a hockey stick (very slow growth now followed by exponential growth in the future) . Invariably the “business plan” will cite statistics for the size of the world-wide market and a comment that suggests if the company just takes 3% of the worldwide market they will achieve their targets. THAT is not a plan … THAT is a dream (or a wish).
One of my personal favorite pipe dreams is the “If we just grow by 10% per year for the next 7 years we will double in size.” That is a goal, not a plan. The plan is needed to show the path to get that 10% growth each year, and will likely include multiple means to achieve the growth.
So … if you have a goal (or dream) then you have a good starting point.
The very next step is to lay out a plan that will get you to that goal.
- It needs to be measurable.
- It needs to be actionable.
- It needs to be doable … even if it is a stretch.
- It needs be tracked.
- It needs to be reviewed periodically.
- It needs to be flexible so that as situations change, then the plan can change.
- I would suggest getting help developing the plan, and also help holding you accountable to the plan.
- I would suggest having milestone goals along the way, that will demonstrate your progress.
- I would suggest celebrating wins as you go, to stay motivated.
- You might also want to stretch your goal as you get closer … because success breed more success!
“A goal without a plan is just a wish.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Kevin Dee is Chairman and founder of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Centre!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiter service?