This is a great time of year to be thankful for all the good things in our life. It doesn’t matter what religion you are, if you live here in Canada most people tend to get a little more time off, the year is coming to an end and we live in one of the best countries in the world.
Gratitude has a way of bringing us back down to earth, and that in itself is a good exercise. It doesn’t matter who you are, you could not have all those good things in your life without a little help! So be grateful!
I am a business owner who has been lucky enough to have great partners, a great team, incredible clients, suppliers and professionals we have had the pleasure to work with. We operate in a country that is second to none, which affords opportunity to everyone. How could I not be grateful for ALL of that!
I am no spring chicken but I’m still in decent shape. I have enjoyed, and continue to enjoy an interesting and varied life … different careers, living in different countries, with many and varied experiences. I could not have enjoyed any of this without my health, without the opportunities afforded to those living in the “first world” cultures. So … yes I am grateful, for all of those things!
I could go on about the million and one things in my life for which I am grateful … the ability to be able to play soccer for more than 50 years, the fast toys in my life, the friends, the family, the places I have lived! I AM grateful for all of it.
What is my message?
1. Find the things in your life to be thankful for.
2. Don’t EVER think YOU did it alone … it doesn’t matter if you are Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, The Queen of England or Wayne Rooney! We are all a product of many inputs, our place of birth, our families, our heritage, the accidents that did not happen to us, the disease that did not affect us … so ALWAYS be thankful!
3. When you have that list of things to be thankful for, keep it handy. The next time you feel sorry for yourself or just a little blue, pull it out and remind yourself of just how lucky you are!
4. None of this takes away from one of my favorite sayings … The harder I work, the luckier I am!
5. Go build on your luck … and be thankful that you can!
Kevin Dee is founder of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Centre!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiterservice?