I tend to be a “Glass Half Full” type of person by nature. I also believe that developing an optimistic outlook is something we can ALL work on, and one tangible way to do that is to choose who we spend our time with (even if it is just virtually right now)!
When I am with high energy, positive people it energises me.
Low energy or negative people tend to do the opposite.
So, I think there are a few lessons here:
- Cultivate your relationship with the positive people in your life. Spend more time with them. Find reasons to be around them.
- Reduce your time spent with the negative people in your life.
- Choose to be more positive yourself … so that people will want to spend time with you!
Some potential actions you can take:
- Make a list of the positive people in your life now.
- Make a list of the negative people.
- Develop strategies to increase contact with the positive people:
- be proactive in calling them;
- share interesting articles/stories/information with them;
- organise virtual events … Zoom wine (scotch, craft beer etc) tasting; virtual cooking class; games night; book club; movie club etc.
- get your positive friends to introduce more positive people.
- Develop strategies to reduce time with negative people, or try to influence them such that their negative behaviour is reduced;
- Talk about the effect of their negativity on you and see is it can be reduced … eg. if politics, religion or some other topic is a source of the negativity then don’t have those conversations.
- If they are not that important in your life then just find excuses not to spend time with them
- If they are important to you then just manage the amount of time you spend with them.
- Work on your own outlook so that you are viewed as a positive person. Look for solutions rather than problems. Don’t bandwagon on the issues of the day. Invest in yourself. Read about people that have done amazing things. Watch motivational videos. Learn from the positive people in your life.
It helps to understand what kind of people have a positive affect on you. I love spending time with fellow business owners and entrepreneurs. As a group they are typically focused on solutions rather than problems. I like to spend time with people that have a passion for what they are doing. As a biker going riding with a group of bikers is typically a very positive experience … we enjoy the journey, and the camaraderie. I have a group of business owners who are also bikers that I spend time with every year (except this year) … and THAT group is a sweet spot for me! Find people with TWO common interests to you and you will get that positive interaction!
Hang with the positive people, develop a positive attitude … it will make you a happier person!
“People inspire you or they drain you, pick them wisely.” Hans F Hansen
Kevin Dee is founder of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Find Canada’s top hot jobs, updated in real-time! Visit Eagle’s Job Centre!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiter service?