A couple of years ago I wrote a blog entry called Work Smarter and a Little Bit Harder.
The premise of that piece was based on a Seth Godin blog entry Do More vs Do Better.
In a world where increasingly we are all expected to work harder it is important that the work we do is effective!
Here are some ideas for salespeople who really want to excel:
1. When you are “on the job” … work! Don’t waste time, don’t fool around, don’t goof off, don’t spend lots of time on personal stuff, don’t read the news or follow your sports teams … WORK!
2. Focus your efforts on high return activities … activity that will lead to business.
3. Determine what your CORE SELLING HOURS are … and spend that time with clients. If your clients are in the office early that mean the first part of your day is when you can most likely talk to your clients. Don’t “waste” your core selling hours on non-productive activities.
4. Be GREAT at time management. Work at it … and always be refining your time management techniques.
5. Set aside LOTS of time for face to face meetings with clients and prospects.
6. Set aside time for setting up face to face meetings with clients and prospects.
7. Learn lessons from success … who within your network can give you advice, ideas, suggestions that will help you. Befriend the most successful salespeople and learn from them!
8. Always look for ways to bring value to your clients … and what is valuable for one is likely valuable for many, so do the work once and share with many people!
9. Invest in yourself … get formal sales training, get public speaking training etc.
10. Look out for your colleagues … what you give will come back in spades.
Don’t be afraid of hard work … but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a life. Working smart can mean you are more productive in a 40 hour week than others may be in a 50 hour week! Of course the salesperson that works smart AND puts in the time gets the biggest prize!
Kevin Dee is CEO of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Centre!
Gain a competitive edge! Join Eagle’s Executive Consulting Network!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiter service?