I recently wrote about the opportunity for salespeople at this time of year to improve their network They can both increase the number of contacts that they have, and improve the relationship they enjoy with those contacts.
One of the barriers to achieving those goals is the natural human tendency to slow down as we approach the holiday season. We use excuses like the clients are not available or we are so busy at other times that its good to take a break.
“You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you.” Dale Carnegie
This is a time of year to put the pedal to the metal and be your busiest ever!
Some tips …
1. Be diligent about your “To Do list”.
2. Use your calendar … and fill it up with meetings.
3. Be creative … breakfast meetings, coffee meetings, “drop in” (where appropriate) meetings, lunch meetings, dinner meetings, “beer after work” meetings.
4. Meet with anyone who might be an addition to your network … clients, prospective clients, influencers of clients, assistants to clients, recptionists at clients, accounts payable people at clients.
5. Send thoughtful messages to all of the people in your contact lists. Personalise them as much as possible … do not send mass boring “same as everyone else” emails!
6. Bring value to your network … share information or interesting articles; drop off goodies; allow them to participate in charitable activities; help them raise funds for their causes; get your company involved!
7. Introduce other people to your network … management, other members of your team, your accounting people, whoever makes sense.
8. Introduce members of your network to each other. Make thoughtful introductions.
9. Thank your clients for their business.
10. Thank your network for being your network.
“If people like you they’ll listen to you, but if they trust you they’ll do business with you.” Zig Ziglar
Just a few things that good salespeople are doing right now … will you be one of them?
Kevin Dee is CEO of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Board!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) Virtual Recruiter service?