I’m a little biased with this blog entry, but one of the motivator’s for up and coming women in society is to be able to see role models.
For many women who are ideal role models, there is a reluctance to step into the limelight and so, at the risk of retribution to come, I’m going to single out one such person.
Janis Grantham is Eagle’s President and Chief Operating Officer. In reality she is the person who runs this company and has been a huge part of any success we have had.
The company, under Janis’s direction has grown to be a $150 million Canadian company with a string of accolades.
- 50 Best Managed Company every year for the last 17 years;
- ISO 9001:2008 Registered;
- Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures (2012);
- Great Place to Work (2014);
- Certified Great Place to Work.
Janis herself attained her MBA through the Queen’s Executive MBA program, whilst working full time and recently completed the Rotman Director’s College achieving her ICD.D designation.
She has been recognised on various lists over the years:
- She was recently named One of the World’s Most Influential Women in Staffing. This was the Global Power 100 as produced by Staffing Industry Analysts.
- She has been listed on the Profit W100, a list of Canada’s Top Female Entrepreneurs for the last 10 years.
- She was on the WXN Top 100 Most Powerful Women list for many years.
Despite this kind of recognition this lady flies beneath the radar, runs this company, has raised two kids AND had to put up with a busy husband … yes, that would be me!
Janis grew up in modest circumstances in Northern Ontario, went to high school in Ottawa and carved out a career for herself.
She is the kind of Canadian role model that can inspire young women to do great things with their lives, because she started with nothing and has created a life (not just a career) to envy.
Happy International Women’s Day (week)!
Kevin Dee is CEO of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Board!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) Virtual Recruiter service?