If you regularly deliver your projects on time and under budget then the company shouldn’t worry about small policy items … right?
If you are a top recruiter, regularly finding candidates for your clients then who cares if you miss some paperwork here and there … right?
Certainly this line of thinking is common in some companies, but there are some minefields in that thinking … for both company and individual.
1. The minute you start to think that you are good is the minute you start to exude that message … and clients, co-workers and bosses really don’t like it.
2. To be “technically” good at your job is really just expected these days, once that is “under control” the individual needs to polish all of the other aspects of their game … the communication skills, presentation skills, their “look”, their “cache” with the company etc.
3. Situations change … the markets go soft, a client decides to move their business and all of a sudden the “star” isn’t looking so hot, not a good position if you are also labelled as having an “attitude”.
4. Good habits are developed over time and need to be maintained over time, so it is important to always work at being on top of your game, if you intend to get there and stay there!
5. If you are sloppy about “the little things” then your attention to detail will slip, and slip, and before you know it you have worked hard to develop habits … except they are bad ones!
6. Sometimes what are “the little things” to you, are not considered the same way by management.
For my part, I will take someone with a good attitude and a willingness to work at getting better over a so called “superstar” any day!
Thought for the day … Do you really know what management think of you? Are you a legend in your own mind … just waiting to take a fall?
“You can’t learn if you think you already know. You will not find the answers if you’re too conceited and self-assured to ask the questions. You cannot get better if you’re convinced you are the best.” Ego is the Enemy
Kevin Dee is the founder of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Board!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) Virtual Recruiter service ——————————————————————————————————————————