“The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.” Vince Lombardi
It is very easy to delude yourself into thinking that you are better than you are! Here is how you might do that…
- I put in my 8 hours.
- I work really hard.
- I am committed to success.
- I just need more feedback and direction.
At the same time your boss may be thinking…
- This person is not producing 8 hours worth of output.
- This person spends too much time on personal stuff instead of being focused on their job.
- This person is not showing me that they are willing to do what it takes.
- This person is not open to feedback, they immediately go on the defensive.
How can two perspectives be so far apart … and how can it happen with such frequency?
The reality is that we are all responsible for our own success, and if we as individuals choose to paint our circumstances as the victim, or we are divorced from reality, then we will absolutely NOT be successful.
Some advice to make sure YOUR lens is on straight…
1. Communicate a LOT with your boss. Ask questions with the intent to LISTEN and truly UNDERSTAND the answers.
2. Ask for candid feedback from people that will be honest with you and even more importantly ACTUALLY listen!
3. If you are lucky enough to find a mentor then ACT on their advice, do NOT ignore them.
4. Be honest with yourself. If you are habitually late to the office, slipping out for personal phone calls and generally NOT doing your job … don’t kid yourself and FIX it!
5. Understand who IS being successful in your role and figure out what they are doing that you are not … emulation is a good route to success!
For way too many people the problem always lies with someone else … the boss, the company, the market or even the government.
”He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else.” Benjamin Franklin
Guess what? YOU are responsible for YOU!
There is boundless opportunity in this world for people that are willing to be accountable, and accept responsibility for their success!
“My philosophy is that not only are you responsible for your life, but doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment.” Oprah Winfrey
Kevin Dee is founder of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Centre!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiter service?