There are no “jobs for life” in the modern workforce.
That means your job security is
(a) what you know and
(b) how you perform.
That is what will give you success in your current role, and what will win you your next role, whether in the same company or somewhere else.
The pace of change in our world is relentless … globalization, demographic pressure (retiring boomers) and technological advances are affecting us all daily (if not hourly).
That means we need to stay current or we get left behind very quickly.
There are numerous statistics about how much information we retain when we take training. The most positive one I found suggested that a month after our training we might retain 25% of the content, others suggest just 10%!
That spells an opportunity for us all, because we all have a ton of training materials from the many course we have taken over the years … that you can revisit and learn the other 75%!
Each of us needs to take responsibility for our own learning … and it doesn’t need to be tough or expensive.
“Commit yourself to lifelong learning. The most valuable asset you’ll ever have is your mind and what you put into it.” Brian Tracy
Here are just some EASY and INEXPENSIVE ideas for you to improve your knowledge:
- Revisit your old training material. Yes, some things are affected by change but others are constant. You will have forgotten 75% (or 90%) of the material since you took the training, revisiting it will bring a greater percentage back to you … and the only cost is your time.
- Borrow training materials from your peers!
- Follow “thought leaders” who can share their knowledge with you … and read their blogs, articles in trade magazines etc.
- Read … read industry articles, newspapers, business magazines, anything that can bring you some new knowledge.
- Free sites. There are a ton of sites offering free courses … here is an article that suggests 25 sites.
“You should always be learning, if you are the smartest person in the room then you are in the wrong place.” anonymous
Knowledge is the new job security so make a commitment to life-long learning!
“Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself.” John Dewey
Kevin Dee is founder of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Centre!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiter service?