Stress levels are high.
It is high paced, competitive and demanding.
People live longer than they ever have,
Our standard of living is generally higher than at any other time in history.
We travel more, eat better and enjoy more luxuries than previously.
Yet in order to enjoy the benefits AND to cope with the stresses we need to look after ourselves.
“Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity.“ John F. Kennedy
It is tough to run a business if you don’t have good health and lots of stamina! Likewise if you have any kind of senior role.
People who are healthy and fit (I’m not talking athletic levels of fitness) can cope better, operate better and enjoy life better than those who are dealing with health problems.
Some health problems we can’t control … and we do our best with those.
However there are things we can control and generally through diet and exercise.
If you want to TRULY enjoy your life then start TODAY.
“Type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes will affect half of Americans in the next eight years at a projected cost of $3.3 trillion.” Dr. Dean Ornish
Moderate your diet … some thoughts:
- If you weigh 120lbs and marry someone who weighs 200lbs AND you eat the same meals you will both eventually weigh the same. Think about that!
- You don’t need to eliminate “bad foods” … you just need them to be a very small part of your diet.
- Sugar is the enemy.
- Portion control is your friend.
- Balance your meals.
- Track everything you eat and track your weight. This is a great tool to show you where you can improve.
- Don’t try to change too much at once.
- Moderate the alcoholic intake … you don’t need wine with every meal, or that second bottle!
- If you are severely overweight get your doctor’s help.
Get some exercise … some thoughts:
“Those who think they have no time for exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness.” Edward Stanley
- Time is often cited as the biggest reason people don’t exercise. Make it a priority. Substitute it for other activities … take 20 minutes of your lunch hour, take 20 minutes of your TV watching, take 20 minutes and eat breakfast at your desk. (Wow an hour of exercise just like that).
- Weight bearing exercise is extremely beneficial for people of all ages, both men and women. It won’t build huge muscles (unless you REALLY work at it). It doesn’t need to be huge weights. Get some advice!
- You don’t need to break a sweat, you do need to exert yourself. Walk briskly. Walk up and down some stairs.
- Find reasons to walk rather than ride. Don’t take the elevator, walk to the shops, get off the commuter train a stop early, have walking meetings etc!
- Plan your travel to stay in hotels with a gym. Take exercise gear. Use a skipping rope.
- Get as much sleep as possible.
- The wearable trackers can be great motivators (eg Fitbit step counters allow you to compete with yourself or with others).
- Ease into a routine … just make it a priority.
We can take our health for granted until we have a problem. I don’t think there is anything more important than our health and yet so many people choose not to do the little things that can make such a difference over time.
“Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.” Jim Rohn
What will you do? Will you just let yourself deteriorate year after year … or will you do something about it?
Kevin Dee is CEO of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Board!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) Virtual Recruiter service?