She has such fantastic hair.
I should have got that job.
Our team played better but the other team won because… insert complaints of referees, bad breaks, lucky shots etc.
I get all the dirty jobs (could be tough job, jobs no one else wants etc.)
She gets more time off than I do.
He has a lucrative pension and I don’t.
The competition won that work because… insert complaints of unfair practices, favoritism, prejudice etc.
“Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die. ” Carrie Fisher.
As human beings we can find no end of reasons to complain about how unfair life is.
It is normal, it is natural, and probably we all fall into it from time to time.
Having said that … get it out of your system and move on!
Whining is a waste of energy. Worse than that, it sucks the energy out of everyone around you!
Life is NOT fair … fact!
If life was fair we would all be born with the same opportunity in life. We would have equal talents and health care and technology and food and career opportunities.
Focus on the positives.
Use your energy to strive for your goals, not lament the one’s you missed.
There is always someone worse off than you!
Here are some thoughts …
1. You can always find someone who gets paid more than you, is progressing faster than you or in some way is a cause of envy for you.
2. You can always find examples of injustice, at work, at play, at home, in politics and in just about every aspect of life.
3. The people who are most content are those who focus on the positives in life.
4. The people who get ahead are those who use injustices as a motivator, not as a source of envy.
5. Not everyone is a naturally positive person, but everyone can be a consciously positive person … it takes some effort, but it will result in a lot more satisfaction with your life.
I have two pieces of advice to help you to focus on the positives:
1. Develop your own “happy list” … the things in your life for which you should be grateful. If you live in a first world country you should be incredibly thankful for all of the opportunities that alone affords! You can be thankful for you your health, your friends and family, your job, your life style, your vacations and a million little things in your life that most days you probably take for granted. The act of focusing on all that is positive in your life will help you to maintain a positive attitude.
2. Hang out with positive people! Enough said!
Bottom line … life is not fair but it IS what YOU make of it!
“The happiest people don’t worry about whether life is fair or not. They just get on with it!” Anon.
Kevin Dee is founder of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Find Canada’s top hot jobs, updated in real-time! Visit Eagle’s Job Centre!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiter service?