Here is the thing … it is not always that easy.
There are a relatively small percentage of people who achieve that goal. For most people the answer is somewhat different. We human beings are complex creatures and while we might love a certain “calling”, there are other considerations that might make it the wrong choice. It might not pay enough for us to have the standard of living we want or it might be somewhere we don’t want to work … or any other factor that might impact our career choice.
I will tell you that it is possible to love what you do, even if it was not your first choice in career.
“I have decided to be happy because it is good for my health.” Voltaire
Here are some facts about Loving What You DO:
If you can love what you do:
- Your stress levels go down immeasurably.
- You will be happier.
- You will be more successful.
- All parts of your life will benefit.
“The biggest mistake that you can make is to believe that you are working for somebody else…The driving force of a career must come from the individual. Remember: Jobs are owned by the company, you own your career!” Earl Nightingale
How do you learn to love what you do?
- Look for all of the positive aspects in your work.
- Come to work and be as effective as you can … no matter what your role.
- Have the attitude of a business owner.
- Recognise that you have to work anyway, so you might as well enjoy it, and be as good as possible at it.
- Always be open to learning.
- Associate with the positive people.
- Avoid the negative people.
- Find ways to help those around you.
- Try to do more than is asked.
- Be proud of your role, and recognize your own achievements.
“The secret of joy in work is contained in one word – excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it.” Pearl S. Buck
Happiness is always within your own control and more about how you react to situations than about the situations themselves. Job satisfaction is no different.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” Abraham Lincoln
Take control of your own job happiness!
Kevin Dee is CEO of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Gain a competitive edge! Join Eagle’s Executive Consulting Network!
Find Canada’s top hot jobs, updated in real-time! Visit Eagle’s Job Centre!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiter service?