Do you read news articles from credible sources … or read the sound bites available on the internet?
Do you read articles about your industry, keeping abreast of trends and changes that might be relevant to your future?
Do you read novels?
Do you read interesting business articles?
It is tough to find time to read everything that you could possibly read, but I believe it is very important to make time to read enough.
Here are a few reasons why you should make that effort …
1. If you want to understand the latest thinking on your profession and/or industry then you need to read regularly.
2. If you want to be able to communicate effectively at an executive level then you need to read regularly … plus develop your writing skills.
3. If you aspire to senior management roles then poor reading and writing skills will undermine your ability to be successful.
4. Reading improves your communication skills, making you more articulate. People with good communication skills might outshine people who have better technical skills, because they are better able to articulate themselves. A good salesperson with great communication skills might win the promotion over a great salesperson with poor communication skills … and probably rightly so. Management positions NEED good reading and writing skills.
5. If you want to be able to hold a conversation with senior people then you had better be reasonably current on what is going on in the world. The latest baseball scores is not always going to cut it!
6. We live in an age of “shortcuts” … instant message instead of email, shortened forms of words, internet information rather than reading the newspaper. If you have great communication skills then you will differentiate yourself from those who do not possess such skills.
Society has evolved to its current state, partly because of innovation and partly on an evolution of communication. We need to be able to communicate well to continue to grow and evolve … and in order to ensure your success you need to read.
Just my opinion … so build a habit, read something every day!
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” Dr. Seuss
Kevin Dee is Chairman and founder of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Find Canada’s top hot jobs, updated in real-time! Visit Eagle’s Job Centre!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiter service?