My wife’s car has a GPS which really made life easy for my drive to Boston last week. It took me right to the hotel, in the middle of some torrential rain, and with no grief. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a GPS for life … a tool that would tell us how to get from point A to point B? Actually, sometimes it’s just hard to identify where point B is!
You DO need a roadmap in life!
Here are some tips:
1. If you don’t know where you are going, then you won’t know how to get there. This is true geographically and in life!
2. If you have trouble defining where that end point is, or what it looks like, then pick a point along the way! e.g. If you don’t know what your career will look like in 10 years, then decide where you would like to be in a year.
3. Aim big. If you shoot for the stars you might not get there, but you will go a long way towards them. If you aim for the roof, you might not even get there!
4. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! So … plan your strategy for success in small bits, it will make it easier to achieve.
5. Review your plans regularly, make sure you are tracking to plan and adjust accordingly.
6. Get help! Find a mentor/mentors, people that will help you.
7. Treat your life seriously … you only get one shot! So, make sure you do what you want with it … and make sure you enjoy it!
8. Fact: Hard work and good planning will get you a LONG way! If you apply some smarts to that formula you will rock the world!
9. Its not all about you! Sometimes you get more by giving. You will need to figure this out for yourselves, but my advice is to “give” as much as you can.
10. Every day is the start of the rest of your life, if you are late starting on your journey that’s OK. Just start!
Wisdom from the corner office!