1. Know what you are selling! Whether it is a widget or a complicated solution, the sales person needs to know and understand their “product” and how to answer the common questions that are raised. This comes down to basic training from their company, and a willingness to learn (every day) on the part of the individual – good training breeds the confidence to succeed.
2. Work hard! Probably the biggest failing of most sales people. This is a tough job, and to succeed you MUST have a good work ethic. Long lunches, golf days, short days on Fridays are habits to avoid.
3. Work smart! Good time management skills, good organizational skills and an attention to detail will get great results.
4. Build Relationships! People buy from people. The more relationships you have, the better. Meet lots of people and invest in those relationships … be a giver not a taker!
5. Listen! The client will tell you everything you need to know to answer their concerns … if you shut up long enough to listen! Listen more than you talk!!!!
I am convinced that if you can “ace” these things you can be super successful in sales.
I don’t believe you need to be “personality of the year”, an extreme extrovert or a party animal to be a successful sales professional. An outgoing personality can definitely be an asset, as it can in any people-based career … but is not essential.
“Whatever you are, be a good one.” Abraham Lincoln
Kevin Dee is the founder of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Board!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) Virtual Recruiter service ——————————————————————————————————————————