Your job in sales is to generate business for your employer.
You do this by:
- Representing your company well.
- Understanding client needs and problems.
- Solving those needs and problems with your company’s solutions/products.
“If people like you, they’ll listen to you, but if they trust you, they’ll do business with you.” Zig Ziglar
There a LOT of pieces to that, including:
- Recognising where there is a fit, and not forcing square pegs into round holes.
- Recognising that to get the whole story from one client you may need to talk with a lot of people … and listen a lot.
- Recognising that to uncover one client that actually needs your help will necessitate a lot of rejection from companies that don’t need it today.
- Recognising that people like to deal with people they like.
- Recognising that you need to earn trust.
- Recognising that you need to build credibility.
- Recognising that this is all hard work … and needs total focus.
“A good listener is not only popular everywhere, but after a while he knows something.” Wilson Mizner
Look at the chart … this is real life!
You need to be able to answer these questions.
- How many good leads do you need to get “enough” closes to meet your targets?
- How many meetings do you need to have to get those “good leads”?
- How many conversations do you need to have on the phone to get those meetings?
- How many calls do you need to make to get those conversations?
- How many of those people that you called never hear from you again?
- How many people you talked with will never hear from you again?
- Do you have a system and a process to keep in contact with those people … bringing them some kind of value?
- Why do you think people will buy from you?
There is nowhere to hide … this is what it takes for you to be successful.
“Days are expensive. When you spend a day you have one less day to spend. So make sure you spend each one wisely.” Jim Rohn
If you are waiting for the phone to ring you might be waiting a long time.
If you are relying on the same clients you relied on last year then you are in decline.
Kevin Dee is Chairman and founder of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Centre!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiter service?