Spring is a great time to re-commit to some small changes in your life … call it your Spring Resolutions!
It is a much better time of year to make resolutions because everything feels better in the Spring! The flowers start to appear, the Winter coats go into storage, you get to go outside without a coat, the sun feel good and there is a general uplift in people’s mood.
Here are some ideas for making resolutions stick!
- They need to be meaningful, or they will not be important enough for you to effect change.
- They need to be achievable, or you will lose interest or discipline or patience.
- They need to be top of mind … so you must find a way to build them into your routine. Whether through reminders, or personal coaches or just sticky notes on your monitor.
- They should be reachable in a reasonable amount of time. If it is going to take a year to reach your goal then you will likely give up. Just make it into smaller goals achievable in shorter times.
Here are some examples that could change your life.
- I will take course “Z” in the Fall and complete it by the New Year.
- I will send 2 targeted letters (emails) a day, customized to the specific company.
- I will improve my personal brand by upgrading my work wardrobe, networking monthly with senior people and will work an extra 15 minutes a day to get noticed.
2. Health Goals. You want to get back into “college shape”, but you put on 50 pounds since then!
- I will write down everything I eat in a log, and reduce the amount by 10%.
- I will walk more every day … get off the bus/subway 2 stops early; walk up stairs rather than take elevator; walk for 30 minutes at lunch etc.
- When I am ready I will set my next goals … but no later than 60 days from now.
3. Hobbies Goal. You might want a new hobby or have a desire to do more with an existing one.
- I will join a group of like-minded people … a book club, a model train club, a biking club etc.
- I will read one book a month on this subject for the next 3 months.
- I will find one friend who will come with me … to dance lessons, choir practice etc.
All of these goals are small steps towards enriching your life … OR you could just keep doing what you do! Like most things in life, it is a choice we all have to make … I believe it is far better to make a conscious choice and not just let life happen to you!
Kevin Dee is Chairman and founder of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Centre!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiter service?