The subject of work/life balance is a common topic and like most people I have my opinions. I have formed mine over 40 years in the workforce, starting out as a Junior Naval Aircraft Mechanic 2nd class in the Royal Navy (I don’t think you can start any lower than that!). For the last 18 years I have owned and operated my own business.
Here are some of my thoughts on life balance … which is my preferred description, as opposed to work/life balance.
“Don’t say you don’t have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson and Albert Einstein.” H. Jackson Brown.
1. I believe that everything we are, and everything we do is connected … so when something affects one part of your life it will affect your whole life, unless you consciously act to stop that.
2. You will very likely meet many of the most important people in your life through work.
3. If you can achieve success at work it will make you feel better about yourself … which positively affects all aspects of your life.
4. If you are struggling in one aspect of your life, at work OR at home, it has the capacity to negatively impact the other parts of your life.
5. Having allowed in #4 that tough times at home can impact work etc., the reverse is also true. You can use a great work environment or a great home environment to help you “get through” tough periods in the other parts of your life.
6. Confidence built on success at work shows through at home.
7. Happiness at home (or at work) comes through in the other parts of your life.
8. If you are a “lazy person” at home it is very likely you will display the same tendencies at work.
9. You will be at your most content when all parts of your life are progressing positively.
10. Success is best enjoyed when it is earned … and success should come in all aspects of your life, your career, your relationships, your hobbies, your health and your general attitude about life.
11. Happiness is a choice, you are in full control of your own happiness.
12. Success is what you want it to be. It does not need to be about position or money, it does need to be about achievement and the result of effort.
13. Life is not meant to be easy, it can however be very rewarding … make the effort and earn the rewards.
14. While you can rest along the way, you can never stop the effort because your world is ever changing.
15. There are always compromises in life, but the most successful people find a way to make things work.
If you want to achieve your potential in life then I believe you should have a “life plan”, not a “work/life plan”.
Work on your career.
Work on your relationships.
Work on your hobbies.
Work on your health.
Work on your future … as one thing, recognising that work and home life are intertwined.
“A true balance between work and life comes with knowing that your life activities are integrated, not separated.” Michael Thomas Sunnarborg
Kevin Dee is CEO of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Gain a competitive edge! Join Eagle’s Executive Consulting Network!
Find Canada’s top hot jobs, updated in real-time! Visit Eagle’s Job Centre!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiter service?