Anyone can do them.
These are just SOME easy ways to set yourself up for success in your career!
- Be keen! Sounds easy, but I’m not talking about superficial stuff here I am talking about a real desire to succeed, to do what it will take to conquer the role.
- Be organized. Don’t expect everyone else to arrange your life for you … clear the decks of personal “stuff” that might get in the way of earning your position.
- Take notes. Lots of them, all the time. After a meeting send a synopsis of the meeting back to the person you met with and ensure what you heard is what they meant to say!
- Don’t be late in to work and don’t be the first out the door.
- Dress for success. Think about the impression you create … don’t dress like you are going on a date and don’t dress like you are doing the gardening. Dress just a little smarter than you need to … and you don’t need to break the bank to do that. Clean, pressed clothes, smart polished shoes, a tie, a jacket … little things can make a good impression.
- Ask lots of questions. It is going to take a while before you know everything (OK … you will NEVER know everything!) so ask, ask ask!
- Don’t whine! If you are at all unhappy then communicate that … but in a professional, well thought out manner. Don’t knock other people, don’t knock the company, don’t knock the competition (get the message) … be constructive!
- Ask for feedback … and don’t take it personally! Learn from it and get better.
- Get involved. Join in with your co-workers, for lunch, for social activities (remembering these are “work social activities”) and any way you can to build a strong network at work.
- Invest in yourself! Its a funny thing but many professions expect people to invest in themselves (accountants need to take ongoing courses, trades people need to buy their own tools etc) but very often the thought of your average office worker investing in themself is alien. Read, take courses, buy nice work clothes, buy a nice brief case etc etc
“Wherever you go, go with all your heart.” Confucius
Kevin Dee is the founder of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Board!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) Virtual Recruiter service?