1. It is hard to build a rapport, which grows to trust which becomes a valued relationship if you are not meeting with them enough.
2. You can be sure that your competition are meeting with your client … and very often the prize goes to the one who is “top of mind”.
3. If you are out in the market meeting your client you will bump into other people, you will have relevant conversations and learn about other opportunities.
4. When you meet with a client and ask lots of questions you learn about them, their challenges, how they like to do business. You learn about who they are … and you will be surprised how easy it is to like people when you get to know them.
5. When you like people it shows and they are far more likely to like you … go back to tip #1 and repeat!
6. When you are in the office your manager is wondering why their salesperson isn’t out getting orders, closing business and building relationships.
7. It is very rare that REAL opportunity comes while you sit at your desk waiting for the phone to ring.
8. The more relationships you have in the marketplace the more opportunities you will uncover and your market intelligence will improve, helping you to win more business.
9. It is a lot more gratifying as a salesperson to be active, to be executing on a sales strategy than sitting in the office “researching”.
10. You get to experience coffee shops all over the city!!!
The sales role is challenging but it is really easy to over think it … meet lots of people, be interested in them and you will be a long way down the road to success.
Kevin Dee is CEO of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Centre!
Gain a competitive edge! Join Eagle’s Executive Consulting Network!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiterservice?