The serenity prayer is a classic … because if we become obsessed with things we cannot change then it will detract from our true mission in life, whatever that might be.
Here are some basic truths …
1. There have always been evil people in the world and there always will be … witness the bombs in Boston as just one small example.
2. There will always be (smart) people on both sides of most significant arguments. Politics is a classic … the vote on gun control in the US, the support/hatred of Margaret Thatcher just a couple of topical examples.
3. However much you achieve there will always be more to do … just a fact. If you are building a company it is never done. If you are working towards equality in the workforce it is never done.
4. There is always more to learn … and at times, in certain circumstances even the brightest of us can feel a little silly. What do you know about the latest developments in technology, bio-sciences or medical discoveries? What detail do you know of political history or history of a given region in the world?
5. No matter how clearly you communicate … there will always be some people who hear a different message than the one you intended to deliver.
The intent of this post is merely to clarify that if you stay focused on the things you CAN influence then you will be at your most effective. If you waste energy “tilting at windmills” then you lose your effectiveness.
The call to action is FOCUS your energies on where they can have the most impact!
Kevin Dee is CEO of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Centre!
Gain a competitive edge! Join Eagle’s Executive Consulting Network!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiter service?