A few years ago I tried an experiment to try and understand how little sleep I could get away with. For a number of weeks I reduced the number of hours until I was sleeping 5 hours a night, which I felt would be a great way to get more time to do things I really want to do!
What did I find out?
1. I need 7 hours sleep!
2. I can exist on 5 hours sleep for a few days at a time … then I really feel it!
3. The affects are cumulative, so it takes me a little while to recover from an extended time when I have been sleep deprived.
4. My attention to detail and ability to focus were noticeably affected when sleep deprived.
5. I was more irritable when sleep deprived … that really impresses clients!
6. I found myself dozing off in meetings and at night after supper when sleep deprived. That also impresses clients!
7. When the weekends came I was a totally exhausted and wanted to sleep all the time. That impresses the family!
8. It reminded me a lot of the period when we were starting this company!
I think that we can all forego sleep to some degree, but generally speaking we need to get a minimum amount of sleep. Without that minimum amount we lose effectiveness and any gains in hours are quickly lost in reduced productivity.
So, the very clear message from me through today’s blogs … get fit, keep in shape and look after yourself. The result will be more energy, and the ability to live life to the full … with a side benefit that you WILL perform better in your job!
Kevin Dee is CEO of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Centre!
Gain a competitive edge! Join Eagle’s Executive Consulting Network!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiter service?