My experience, certainly in the business world, is that if you want something to happen then you had better drive that outcome!
“Don’t just stand there. Make it happen.” Lee Iacoca
Here are 5 reasons why waiting is a bad idea:
- Waiting is a passive state … it cannot affect the decision. Doing something is always a better alternative.
- If you are waiting for a client decision, then you can assume your competition are influencing that decision … that is what I would do!
- If you wait, then get the wrong decision you will never know if you could have influenced it. If you act then at least you know you did everything you could.
- If you are waiting, hoping that time will provide you with something of value then likely you will be disappointed. If you want something of value, develop a plan to get it … and execute on that plan. Fate might be kind to you, but giving fate a push improves your odds.
- If there truly is nothing else you can be doing to affect that outcome then use the time to influence some other outcome … don’t JUST wait. If you are in sales you should be working your next deal (and the one after that).
Waiting is not just a bad idea in business, the same applies in all aspects of our lives.
“We are always getting ready to live but never living.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
Here are a few thoughts about waiting …
- Don’t wait for someone to come along, get out there and meet people.
- Don’t wait for the right opportunity, make your own opportunity.
- Don’t wait until the timing is right, find a way to make it happen.
- Don’t let life pass you by because you are waiting!
“You will never find time for anything. If you want time you must make it.” Charles Buxton
Kevin Dee is the founder of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Centre!
Have you tried Eagle’s (very cost effective) VirtualRecruiter service?