Tonight in Boston two hockey teams will face off in game #6 of what could be a 7 game final. If Vancouver manage to win tonight then its all over. Thus far in the series it has been the home team that has won … Vancouver “eked” out three wins in their arena, and Boston had two emphatic wins while playing in Boston.
So what, you might ask?
I think the important thing here is that the margin by which you win counts for nothing … at the end of the day the history books will remember the winners.
I can’t predict how tonight’s game will go … but I do know some facts.
1. Neither one of these teams were competing in the final last year. So … they improved their competitiveness!
2. Both teams have won all of their home games in this series … which might suggest that Boston should win tonight, sending the final to one last deciding game, in Vancouver.
3. Vancouver finished the regular season with a better record than Boston.
4. Any game can be won or lost based on any number of factors … a hot goalie, a lucky goal, a poor refereee call, a special play!
How does that apply in my every day life? Lessons for us business guys …
1. If you want to be successful you have to be able to play with the best … even if you don’t beat them regularly.
2. Competing takes hard work … winning is just that bit harder.
3. What worked yesterday is not necessarilly going to work tomorrow.
4. A superstar might win you some business … but it is a team effort that will win on an ongoing basis.
5. The difference between winning and losing can be very small … but if you want the “prize” you need to find those small differentiators.
Kevin Dee is CEO of Eagle (a Professional Staffing Company)
Want to know where Canada’s hot jobs are? Visit the Eagle Job Centre!