Have you ever noticed that if you are feeling slightly “off” how much it affects you? You get out of bed feeling “testy” and it seems that nothing goes right. You don’t feel good about yourself, you don’t feel good about your job, you are short tempered with your partner etc.
Conversely, if you are in a good mood, then you are able to take on the bigger projects, nothing phases you, your relationship is good … life is good!
The mind can impact us in so many ways and often we just let it! Are you the kind of person that just explains it away by saying “That’s who I am, take it or leave it?”, or maybe, “ I’m just a moody person … that is who I am!”
The reality is that we all have the ability to influence our moods and to “snap out of it” which is obviously better for us, and for all around us. Yet too often people wallow in their own self-pity and everyone associated with them is supposed to just take it.
The right thing to do is to work at it! Find ways to improve your mood, here are some suggestions:
1. Focus only on positive thoughts.
2. Think before you speak … do not react too quickly.
3. Treat yourself, a special coffee, a 5 minute walk in the fresh air … whatever it takes, within reason.
4. Do not enter into any contentious discussions, wait until the mood has passed.
5. Even if you feel angry, do not show it … in fact go overboard in the opposite direction!
6. Be an actor and play the part of a happy person.
7. Remember the things that make you happy, picture yourself when you were having a great time.
8. Put yourself in the shoes of the people around you and treat them like you would want to be treated.
9. Breathe evenly and deeply, slow your heart rate down.
10. Walk fast and smile!
A bad mood is not good for you, it raises your blood pressure, puts extra pressure on the heart and it just doesn’t feel that good. A bad mood is equally hard on those around you … and that just isn’t fair! Take control of your emotions, its good for everyone!